Friday, July 08, 2005

Westport YC Hosts 2005 Youth Sailing Regatta

I have to give shout to my adopted YC, Cedar Point Yacht Club in Westport, CT. CPYC recently hosted the 2005 Youth Sailing Championship. The top 160 14- to 19-year-old competitive sailors from 22 states, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada competed in Westport from June 23 to June 30th. As this article in the local Westport paper details, some 150 volunteers helped register, house, feed, hydrate, entertain, photograph, coach and run races for the contingent – three fleets raced: double-handed Club 420s and single-handed Lasers and Laser Radials. Emily Dellenbaugh, 15, of Easton, CT., and Leigh Hammell, 16, of Warren, VT., became the first women in the championship's 33-year history to win the double-handed class in a fleet of 50 Club 420 boats. Today's youth champions are tommorow's Olympic stars so watch for these names as the years pass. I never competed at this level when I was a teenager - reading about these kids makes me wish I had.

No comments: