Thursday, August 18, 2005

Sailing Singles Scene

Here's an idea that could find legs in the NY Metro area. According to the Detroit Free Press article, Sailing Singles has been getting single, divorced and widowed metro Detroiters together to sail, party and score for 25 years. They have 200 or so members who not only sail with one another but gather for biannual black tie events, winter ski trips, white water rafting adventures and so on. I’m married so singles groups aren’t supposed to be my bag but if they were, this sounds like it would beat the pants off of (pick one) Match.com, booze-fueled bar pick-ups, embarrassing parental introductions (oh Margie’s daughter is your age and lives in NY, you two have a lot in common) and scoping chicks in the vegetable section at the supermarket. Not to mention that the Detroit-based Sailing Singles has a fleet, well, a Flying Scott isn’t truly a fleet but still...what a way to meet the woman (or man) of your dreams. I’m a huge fan of my wife even though she doesn’t sail. When I need to get some time away that can be a good, though it might be nice not to hear, “I don’t get this sailing thing." Wait until she discovers I’m founding the NY Metro Sailing Singles circuit ;-) I'll represent myself as the nautical version of a chaperone...you know how frisky kids can get on night watch.

3 comments:

lisarose said...

Sign me up!! I'm a single gal (55) living in the Hampton's looking for exactly this sort of thing. I believe they also have a similar group in Seattle. With all the boats around here you would think it would be easy to "hook up" but it isn't. I do get to race every Wednesday night in Sag Harbor with the Breakwater Yacht Club, but I would love to meet a man who loves boating as much as I do. Keep me appraised of all progress. I'd be happy to help in a any way as I am semi-retired and have plenty of time on my hands for just this sort of thing.

Lisa lisarose@adelphia.net

Zephyr (Sail) said...

Thanks Lisa for your comments...let's talk some more about this offline. I think it has much potential.

lisarose said...

Okay I would love to brainstorm. You can reach me at lisarose@adelphia.net and mark it sailing club so I don't delete.

Lisa