Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ecclesiastes 9:10

I'm not generally one for quoting Bible verse...but I'm reading "The Caine Mutiny" by Herman Wouk in my spare time (which means late at night after everyone is asleep) and the protagonist Willie Keith - who joined the Navy during WW II as a Ensign assigned to the mine sweeping destroyer " U.S.S. Caine" in the Pacific Theatre - receives a bible from his dying father suggesting that he reference Ecclesiastes 9:10 as he considers his new position aboard ship.

It's not the longest or most profound verse, but it struck me as basically sound advice and so I thought that I'd pass it along.

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

2 comments:

Tillerman said...

That guy Solomon knew a thing or two.

Zephyr (Sail) said...

Amen brother...