Friday, September 01, 2006

Agassi's Spirit

I rarely go off topic to this degree but I had the privilege to be courtside at Arthur Ashe stadium in Flushing Meadow, NY last night for the Agassi/Baghdatis men's singles tennis match and, though I could not stay through the fifth set because of the late hour, I have to say that it will forever be one of the highlights of my sports event-attending life. In most cases I'd prefer to be watching a sailing race...and while I can swing a racket, I'm much more proficient around the buoys. But the tenacity and sheer grit of this 36-year old champion athlete was amazing to witness.

In tennis years Agassi is an old man contends with a bad back along with the loss of speed and agility he enjoyed in youth. Nonetheless he turned back the clock and played a game of consumate skill against a 21 year old battering ram. He had a greater reservoir of experience to draw upon and a 20 year career chock full of triumphs. But his indomitable spirit took him to victory last night.

This spirit is the defining characteristic of a champion and be it offshore racing, tennis, mountain climbing or chess...it's hard to cross the finish line a winner without it.

Have a great holiday weekend. I hope you have the opportunity to get out on the water.

No comments: