Friday, March 16, 2007

Take the Corporate Stiffs Sailing

I completed management training today despite the spring snowstorm that's whacked the Northeast U.S. and though I learned a great deal through the week and appreciate the opportunity, I'll be glad to be back to my regular program. Sitting in a class eight hours a day is no fun at all if you're not accessing the pressure relieving "extracurricular" activities we enjoyed as college students. Which brings me to the topic of this post...earlier in the week I had written about the unsung role of the grinder in the context of the larger team on a racing yacht. I noted at the time that the lessons one learns as part of the crew on a big sailboat have more than a few similarities with the things I was being taught during the management courses.

The post spurred a lively conversation between Tillerman and Carol Anne, the gist of which you can read here. They both make good points and I have to agree that if I was learning these management lessons aboard a sailboat - as opposed to spending eight hours in the classroom - not only would I be personally thrilled...but I think that my fellow students (once past their fear of tipping over on heel) might actually get more from the material. Does anyone know of organizations that do this sort of corporate training? Sounds like a tremendous business opportunity.

3 comments:

Tillerman said...

Offshore Sailing and
J-World both do corporate team-building activities. I expect there are other organizations too.

Tillerman said...

Or you could do you corporate team-building on 12 Meters in Newport.

Carol Anne said...

You want to hear about torture? How about the course that Pat just took, 8 hours a day in a classroom, but not just any classroom -- one with big windows overlooking the lake, while the weather outside is sunny and breezy and just right for sailing.

The upside is that he's now an official safe boating instructor, and his skills will be in demand now that the state requires a safe boating class for all persons under 18 to operate a boat.